I've been baking cakes since Tuesday evening, as I was short on milk and my car (having Dave start his new job on Monday)decided that it wasn't going to run anymore :o( Seems having only used it twice over the last two and a half months was a bad thing - killed the battery (we hope):o( Ever night this week I've had to run out for more ingredients. My initial list was just to make four recipes of my cake not nine - it takes three recipes to fill the 12x18 pan alone (four if it were my chocolate version)! Now I know! :oP
The last cake came out of the oven after 9:30 last night. Dave is going to cut my plywood...I mean cake board tonight (3'x2')and I hope to assemble and get the fondant ready today. Assembling hopefully tonight and tomorrow. Problems with fondant in a residential setting is there is a lack of space! I have cakes stuffed in my little apartment size freezer and the stuff that usually goes in there is crammed into my fridge's freezer space, working thus far I might add, as long as I don't go for the extra two layers of the 12x18 cake.
I plan to do a strawberry and whipped cream filling as per the request; at the same time I have flashes of my masterpiece sliding off/shifting on the board as we transport it downtown. How many stakes should I use to avoid this...I really don't know. I don't think the piping gel water is going to hold anything in place. I feel like emailing AofC and seeing if they have any recommendations - is it better to have no filling on the larger portions...I just don't know :oP
Well I should run I have a ton of fondant to colour (I bought it as the discount made it cheaper than making it this time)and a gum paste flower to make to set on the Hippo's ear as well as whipping up a few batches of buttercream icing to keep this sucked together. I plan to use some pink petal dust to colour the pinkish areas on my gray hippo, I hope this is a good solution as I don't trust piecing together two different pieces and having them stay together either. Cake boss and Ace of Cakes have shown many of the do's and don'ts of the trade. I hope they will come in handy as here I go a wastling, I mean building :oP
Here is my vision:

Sorry for the poor quality - pencil sketch :o( If I don't over think things and not stress too much everything will be just fine...yeah...keep telling myself that.

No comments:
Post a Comment