March 19, 2010

I don't know why, but I always get inspired to get crafty when I see something interesting. I was at our community league's winter bizarre in 2008 and came across some barrettes made by a local woman and thought wow - one day Madison will have hair and she can wear these. Very unique ribboned hair barrettes, even came in a custom holder. anyhow, it made me realize how simple it would be to make them or other ones that I had seen online before. I started collecting different ribbons (so many pretty ones these days)and hair barrettes (which I am having a time finding). I made the barrette set last summer when I finally found time, and Madison's hair was finally needing them. The larger clasp type on the left I did in the last few months and the pink stripe I did today. Pretty simple if I could only find the barrettes; I have tons of ribbon.

Now with all the barrette making I intend to do I am trying to fabricate something to organize them and hopefully keep the barrettes from being lost. She also has many plastic ones as well. I was originally just going to use a long ribbon and hang it on something; too thin and decided to add a thicker backing (I say backing as I have since decided that it alone is too plain) Right now I am just deciding how to stitch it. I was thinking of every other letter so a set of barrettes could fit in the space, or each letter to keep the larger ones more uniform with the rest of it. I'm not much of a seamstress (or at least that I would give lesser credit)so it should be simple. I like to paint and bake more than sew. I don't understand the lingo most of the time, my mom showed me how to knit once and I managed to knit my doll a scarf when I was a kid, but give me a book with instructions on how to knit these days and my scarf looks like an uneven cat blanket so I gave up :oP At the same time I managed to do a pretty good job on Stirling's costume two years ago.

Thank goodness my mom is helping make a Matron of Honor dress for a wedding I'm attending in August. I don't want it to look too homemade. :oP

No comments:

Post a Comment