
Lighthouse Park; Trip to Vancouver - August 2010
My first class on Tuesday went wonderfully, can't wait for tomorrow's. Gum Paste & Fondant should be a breeze. Not much of a change from course 4 Fondant & Gum Paste from the old curriculum. All of my expected students were there, thankfully and the timing was perfect for me to get Stirling after school right on time. I've signed on to teach Course 1 in October so it will be interesting to see what kind of response I get. I'm planning on advertising at Stirling's school again, but last time I did that I had all the phone #'s disappear and no one followed through with registration, so we'll have to see how this one goes. Should make Michael's happy, as I won't be able to teach a course in November most likely, too many cake projects :o(

Huge Redwood - Lighthouse Park -August 2010
I can't wait until we can afford new PCs; mine hiccuped big time on Friday as I was sending out the August minutes for the Playschool executive and I ended up sending out a file that no one could open, grrrr. So this morning I quickly rewrote the last ten minutes of minutes that the temp file on my PC didn't manage to save. The September newsletter already went out on Friday with positive response, but had to submit another order to Staples as we had people sign up during the week that weren't recorded by our registrar yet.

Panoramic of Vancouver from Dog Mountain? (I need to confirm mountain :oP)
Thursday and Friday were spent working on the Hummingbird cake for my repeat client, yahoo. It turned out really well, but I wasn't overly impressed with the chocolate mocha mousse I made for the filling; on it's own it was very bitter. I've made it previously and haven't had concerns with the flavour - I was hoping between the chocolate cake and the chocolate mocha icing that it would balance the bitterness, and it seemed to. Maybe it was the combination of unsweetened chocolate and the coffee in it, I'm not so sure. Rave reviews from the client this morning, and this is all that matters, right!

The Bride and Groom - Fort Langley - August 2010
Stirling's first full week in school went well. We had a couple mornings of 'I don't want to go to school', but I told him, unless he's dieing he won't be missing school :oP Madison is eager to start preschool; the 28th couldn't come soon enough for her. Stirling did really well on his first spelling test last week, which we spent the week preparing for. He also returned some lettering homework that wasn't due until Wednesday today and he says his teacher was so happy she gave him two whole gummy worms - does that mean he had to share his worms last week? I'm not sure. :oP

The Bride and me - the Matron of Honour :oP
I still have to get invitations out for Madison's birthday, oops boy am I behind on that, and I also need to make her gift wish list, as we plan to get Madison a big girl bed (moving out of the toddler bed) and will need bedding for it sooner than later. I ordered her mattress last week, thank goodness for my contacts in the industry still - can't get a better deal on a mattress otherwise. Now to find her a non-pine frame bed. I really like the white Hemnes day bed at Ikea but the price is more than we paid for our dark brown Hemnes queen frame a few years ago, and just can't get past the price. Jysk is just that - Swedish for crap right? That's where we got Stirling's bed and its suits him fine, but something a little less utilitarian would be nice.

Stirling's First Day
I finally got our large faux wood blind back from being restrung. Honestly, it was done when we left for Van in August, but just hadn't found the time to get it until now. It looks great, and now opens and closes like it should, yey! Way cheaper than purchasing three new blinds from Home Depot; I think the quote I got when the string broke was for over $800 installed for the three windows as Shade-o-matic discontinued the colour we own, of course. They insisted on the installment - hello I used to work in the blind and flooring department in Sherwood Park and I have also worked in the installations department. I know the drill, she just wanted to rip me off where I am quite capable of installing my own blinds - heavy or not. The only funny thing is now I have Hunter Douglas pulls on my Shade-o blind, as they were the only place in the city that would restring them. Oh well, who cares, my blind works, lol!

Madison's Orientation Day
Currently waiting on a gal to view some maternity clothes I have kicking around; she was interested in them a few months ago when I posted it on Kijiji, but had some complications and she didn't know if she would be needing them until the end of August. She emailed me last week and said everything was okay, and now I am waiting for her to show up.
Kayley had another seizure last week, saved it for when we had to leave for 'Meet the Teacher' night so we were a little late, but it was fine. She is fine too, but I swear her listening skills went downhill again. She was acting agressive towards things we didn't see, and to things she usually is she was even more so. Today she's been rather normal; so maybe she's like the rest of us and was just having a bad day, not sure. It's like clock work with her almost exactly every two months; she was a week off this time around. Not much we can do but make her feel comfortable when it happens.

No comments:
Post a Comment