February 17, 2010

I can't believe how busy things have been for us. David is starting to get back to his old self, but has twinges of pain where he is still healing.
I whipped up a Valentine's cake Saturday; decorating the cupcake portion for that evenings desert. David and I came up with a great one and it is delicious. I was partially inspired by a DQ ad believe it or not. Having family that doesn't care for ice cream cake I made a cake version. Raspberry cake with Boston Cream filling, raspberry buttercream and dark chococlate shavings; I'll post pics on my cake blog when I find the time; probably later tomorrow:oP I did all the decorating of the cake on Sunday while my roast was in the oven.
David and I went had our date night on Saturday and hopefully saved some money. Our dinner at home turned out wonderful; the best roast I think I've made yet; topped by an awesome cake. Dave and I both chuckled that the combination tasted like a Viva Puff w. raspberry jam, lol. Still very good!
Stirling's 100th Day Party was Tuesday afternoon, and I hummed and hawed all day Monday trying to figure out if I could manage to make my cake recipe with 3 eggs - I needed four. My regular yellow cake recipe makes three layers. This is the recipe I use for all my flavoured cakes, except chocolate of course, adjusting my flavourings accordingly. Early tuesday morning I decided to divide the recipe in half and take my chances. I have been only making one cake pan worth of cake anyhow; filling it 3/4 full for a two layer cake and use the rest of it for cupcakes. I really like to let the cake sit over night before I decorate it; make sure its not too moist. Makes it much easier to handle and decorate. Stirling wanted lemon flavour so that's what I did with a pack of vanilla pudding for filling. I had made up some fondant numbers the previous weekend to put on the cake, and tons of leftover fondant. I did lemon buttercream and tried to flavour the fondant a bit, but was afraid of changing the texture too much (never tried to alter flavouring on wilton fondant before). Could have used a little more in the end but the flavour was there for the icing and cake. I used flavouring and added some fresh lemon zest; always taste better. I managed to bake, cool; lay fondant and decorate by lunch time! Yahooo, and the class and teacher loved it!
Today was parent committee, my Vice Chair role now will encompass the secretarial position as well. I'm terrible at taking minutes. My hearing sucks as of late, or maybe it's my childhood ADD returning, LOL. One lady says to me, 'The Vice Chairs position doesn't require me to do much', I responded 'That's why I took it' and we all had a good chuckle. The secretary from our committee is moving and we only have three more meetings, I think I can't manage to mess it up too badly. We'll see at next months committee meeting; or hey will see how I do when I submit tonights. I know I missed stuff; I swore they whispered on purpose, tee hee hee.

No comments:

Post a Comment