Our little Madison was three weeks old yesterday, already! It's going by again so quickly. So far she has been on a four hour feeding schedule, which has made late night feedings minimal and mostly bearable. Her first appointment with the pediatrician went well, she hadn't lost any of her birth weight - boggled my mind that they weighed her in grams. My mom's neighbour is convinced I have this big Buddha baby (as she called her) because of her birth weight; she is very long, not in the least chubby.
Going back three weeks I may not have ever seen my little girl. I'm not a religious person, but I thank god that I am still here. A few complications arose during little Madison's speedy delivery. Many of these things I was unaware of until after the fact. Earlier that day I had been to see my ob-gyn and she had stripped the membranes to hopefully make me go into labor sooner than later. It worked rather well assisted with some shopping, as by 1pm I was starting to have contractions. By four my contractions were between four and five minutes apart. Finally got to the hospital just after five and was delivering by 8:37. Little Madison was face up with the cord around her neck when she was being delivered at which point the doctor's had me deliver her quite quickly. I didn't know I could push so hard but I did. At the time I new she was face up and that was all. The afterbirth is where things went a little downhill for me. I delivered everything well, but the bleeding wouldn't stop. I couldn't recall how much I bled when I had Stirling, but to me it didn't seem anything out of the ordinary. I have a large fibroid in my uterus that can contribute to heavier bleeding (or at least that's where my mind was going with this). I didn't realize it was that bad until the nurse did another shove into my gut to clean things out, when I gushed all over the intern, the floor, the walls - leaving everyone a little shocked. The doctors were trying to be hush hush, thinking they were tricking me with their doctor code - PPH - hemorrhaging basically, I got the just of it. They were trying to pump me full of drugs to keep me from bleeding to death basically. At the same time I am trying to swallow pills I'm starting to not feel well, and end up getting sick several times. Pretty much after they gave me more pills to take; another IV is stuck into my other arm, just in case...just in case what? I'm not sure and not sure if I really want to know. It took quite sometime for the bleeding to stop; my husband holding our daughter; the look on his face should have told me that things weren't going so well. Then for some reason (which I later learn was my body going into shock from losing so much blood)I start to shake uncontrollably; like I suddenly had a case of really bad shivers. A little warm saline helped that. It was hours before I actually got to hold Madison, and a long night of "checks" were a head of me. When David told me what had transpired the next day, I knew what had happened but didn't want to think of what could have happened. It scared(s) the hell out of me, and took me this long to write it down. I really don't want to think about it, I just want to enjoy what I have; a beautiful baby girl, blonde hair and blue eyes, my perfect little angel. I'm so much more thankful for what I have.
October 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Sweetie - I had goosebumps reading that! I am so glad you had someone looking out for you. We all have an angel, and yours was with you that day.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear you are doing ok. I can't wait to meet her!